For the fourth consecutive year, Athletics Australia and the University of Melbourne will come together to host the Raise the Bar Academy. RTBA is a pathway Academy for Australian Indigenous secondary school students (Years 10, 11 and 12) who aspire to participate in athletics and study at university.
Participants explore their leadership potential and discover how participation in sport can complement and open doors to professional opportunities.
The free program includes air travel, ground transfers, accommodation and meals and consists of a four-day camp at the University of Melbourne.
By participating in the program, Raise the Bar Academy participants:
- Gain knowledge and skills in athletics as both an athlete and a coach
- Develop community leadership potential
- Are inspired to successfully complete secondary school and pursue further education
- Are mentored by current Australian Olympians and elite athletes
- Connect with sports industry professionals
- Establish links with other Indigenous students from all over Australia
Raise the Bar Academy participants return from the experience more passionate about sport, excelling at school, and ultimately, feeling empowered to pursue higher education opportunities and continue their involvement in athletics.
A 2016 RTBA participant said the following about her experience: Our trip to Raise the Bar Academy was the best five days of our life and it has inspired us to dream big, work hard, stay true to ourselves, make the impossible, possible and become all that we can, both on the track and in life. We will never forget this experience as it was truly once in a lifetime.
Up to 35 participants will be selected to attend the prestigious Raise the Bar Academy and must meet the following selection criteria:
- Identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- Be in Year 10, 11 or 12 in 2018
- Be 15-19 years of age at 1 January 2019
- Demonstrated interest in pursuing further education beyond secondary school
- Demonstrated community leadership skills
- 6. Demonstrated interest in the sport of athletics
To participate in the Raise the Bar Academy, students must be nominated by a representative from their school or sports club. Applicants must complete and submit the application form online (below) by 4pm on Monday 29 October 2018